Mrs. Penland, Assistant Principal
over 2 years ago
Thank you for visiting our school's website.
Ford is a wonderful place to be.
I am the assistant principal at Ford Elementary School. I grew up at Ford as a student attending grades 1-8. I began teaching 7th and 8th grades when Ford was a K-8 school. Then I taught 3rd and 1st grades before becoming the Title I Curriculum Coordinator and Math/Science Coach. I became the Assistant Principal at Ford during the summer of 2006. Ford is “home” for me. I truly love working with the students, parents, and teachers.
My husband, daughter, and I live in the Ford community. We attend St. James United Methodist Church, also in the Ford community. We are a close family and we enjoy doing things together. Family, church, and education are very important to us.
I received a Bachelor of Science degree from Winthrop University. Later, I received my Master of Education degree from Converse College. I took classes through Clemson University to add on certification in Administration and Supervision. As an educator, I am constantly trying to learn more. I have always believed that everyone can learn something new.
over 2 years ago
Hello and Welcome to our Parenting Resources site!
Ford Elementary is a Title 1 school. At Ford, you are always welcome to visit our library media center where you might wish to come and assist your child in picking out something for you to read together. You may also find a variety of magazines and/or resources in our library or guidance office. In the library media center, we have current magazines such as Highlights, Spider, Jack and Jill, Ranger Rick, and many others. We have also located some websites that you may find helpful:
Parent Involvement and Guidance
about 1 year ago
Ford Elementary School
Parent Involvement Policy
The Ford Elementary School Parent Involvement Policy is developed and continuously evaluated through parent, teacher, and community input. We will, to the extent practical, provide all parents, including those of limited English proficiency, those in migrant work, and those with disabilities, information and school reports in a language/format that is easily understood. Additionally, we will coordinate and integrate parental involvement programs and activities with other programs such as Head Start.
In order to improve student academic performance, Ford Elementary School will supply students and parents with clear evaluations of progress and achievement through conferences, interim reports, Measures of Academic Progress (MAP) reports, report cards, newsletters, parent nights, PTO meetings, and School Improvement Council meetings. Information concerning the South Carolina State Curriculum Standards will be made available to all parents. The school Title I Parenting Coordinator will provide additional opportunities for parent involvement through workshops, trainings, take-home activities, home visits, and on-going efforts to extend home/school communications.
The Parent Involvement Policy of Ford Elementary will be presented for comments, suggestions, and approval during the initial open house and throughout the school year, at varying times, in order to accommodate our parents’ schedules. A suggestion box is located in our main office. We appreciate your comments and suggestions concerning our school-wide Title I project, our Parent Involvement Policy, and our Parent/Student/Teacher Compact as we strive to better serve our students, parents, and community.
over 2 years ago
Ford Elementary School
The mission of Ford Elementary School is to create a community of learners who are responsible and productive citizens.
As a parent/guardian, I will:
· Show respect and support for my child, the teachers, and Ford Elementary School.
· Participate as appropriate in decisions relating to the education of my child.
· Monitor my child’s attendance in school.
· Support the school’s discipline policy.
· Provide a quiet, well-lit place for study and supervise the completion of homework.
· Attend parent-teacher conferences.
· Talk with my child each day about his or her school activities.
· Monitor my child’s TV viewing.
· Assist with at least one school or classroom activity.
· Encourage my child to use extracurricular time wisely.
· Read with my child for at least 10 minutes each day and let my child see me read.
As a student, I will:
· Always try to do my best work.
· Be kind and helpful to my classmates.
· Show respect for myself, my school, and other people.
· Obey classroom, school, and bus rules.
· Show respect for property by not stealing or vandalizing.
· Come to school prepared with my homework and my supplies.
· Believe that I can and will learn.
· Spend at least 15 minutes each day studying or reading at home.
· Talk with my parents each day about my school activities.
As a teacher, I will:
· Show respect for each child and for his or her family.
· Schedule (at least annually) a parent-teacher conference with the parent(s) of each student in my classroom to discuss this compact as it relates to the individual child’s achievement.
· Make efficient use of learning time.
· Provide high-quality curriculum and instruction in a supportive and effective learning environment that enables children to meet the state’s student academic achievement standards.
· Help each child grow to his or her fullest potential.
· Provide meaningful and appropriate homework activities.
· Provide necessary assistance to parents so that they can help with assignments.
· Enforce school and classroom rules fairly and consistently.
· Communicate to parents about the progress of their child’s achievement on an ongoing basis through parent-teacher conferences, interim reports, MAP reports, and report cards.
· Use special activities in the classroom to make learning enjoyable.
· Demonstrate professional behavior and a positive attitude.
As the principal, I will:
· Provide reasonable access to all staff members.
· Provide opportunities for parents to volunteer and participate in their child’s class.
· Provide opportunities for parents to observe classroom activities.
Now, hand in hand, we will work together to carry out this contract.
Parent/Guardian Signature Date
Student Signature Date
Teacher Signature Date
Principal Signature Date